Adding SharePoint libraries as network location
It is also possible to add SharePoint libraries as network locations. These are accessible using Windows Explorer and documents can be opened and edited locally.
Note: this feature only works when using Internet Explorer as browser
Open Internet Explorer and navigate to https://portal.microsoftonline.com, log in using your Office 365 account credentials.
Make sure the Keep Me Signed In(KMSI) checkbox is checked.
- Navigate to the desired library
- Add the SharePoint site as "Trusted site" in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools button, and then click Internet options.
- Click the Security tab.
- Now click on Trusted sites and then click on the sites button.
- Enter the Website URL and click on Add.
- When you are finished, click on Close.
- Click "All Documents" and "View in File Explorer".
- It is possible that you will get a prompt. Click "Allow"
- Open the Library, click Library from the menu and "Open with Explorer"
The library will be opened in Windows Explorer, copy the address which can be found in the address bar.
- Go to this address in Internet Explorer. Check if you are logged in automatically.
- If not, check the KMSI checkbox.
- Right-click “This PC” in Windows Explorer and then choose “Map network drive”.
- Choose the Drive, paste the copied address in the line of the “Folder”.
- Make sure Reconnect at sign-in is checked
Now you can find the created network location in Windows Explorer and you can open the shared SharePoint files locally.