Table of Contents
- Activate the app
- Live Power BI for Guest users
- Troubleshooting Power BI
You can now add Power BI tiles to the Workspace giving people insights on data which they need or should know on a daily base. The Power BI tile shows you the desired tile from Power BI. You can easily select tiles from dashboards.
- A Power BI Pro license.
- Direct user permissions to the Power BI resource/dashboard (even if you created the dashboard yourself).
- Make sure the Single Sign-On method is set to oAuth2 and you set the required Power BI permissions on the oAuth2 application in Azure AD:
For more information on how to set up an oAuth2 application for your Workspace, click here. Bare in mind that adding these permissions may take some time to take effect (up to 24 hours) .
Activate the app
- Go to the App store (or click on "+ Add tiles"). Click on Create tile and search for and select Power BI (the app can be found onder the Office category). Then, click Create.
- Make sure the correct permissions are set in Power BI.
- You can configure the desired 'Workspace', 'Dashboard' and 'Tile'. Don't forget to click on Save when you're done.
- You can add this app to a Shared group and click "done" to make it visible to the users. If you like to push the Live tile via a Shared group, make sure everyone from that group has access to the Power BI dashboard.
Live Power BI for Guest users
To let guest users view the Live Power BI tiles some extra steps are needed.
- In Power BI head to the site you want to share with your guest user(s).
- Press "Share" in the top right corner.
- Fill in the guest user(s) UPN.
- Lastly the user has to accept the email confirmation to get access to the Live Power BI tiles within Workspace.
Troubleshooting Power BI
"Could not retrieve the tile from Power Bi"
This error message is caused by a limitation within the browser itself. The browser allows limited connections (e.g. 5 or 6) at the same time, but Power BI leave these connections open. Therefore, too many connections are open for the browser to show in the live tile. Often refreshing the page helps.
"Could not retrieve the workspaces from Power BI"
You could run into this error if permissions are granted via a group when adding the Power BI tile to your Workspace. Direct user permissions to the Power BI resource/dashboard are required (even if you created the dashboard yourself), including a Power BI Pro license.
"Incomplete tile configuration"
This error message occurs when you search for the Power BI tile in the App store and add it directly from the App store to your Workspace. When adding the Power BI tile to your Workspace, the tile must first be created (configured) in the App store. Solution: go to the App store and click create tile. Select the Power BI app and click 'create'. When done configuring the app you may add it to your Workspace.