Full guide for users
Table of Contents
- Step 1. Introduction & Sign in
- Step 2. Add your favorite sites or apps
- Step 3. Edit your Workspace
- Step 4. Important information in one glance
- Step 5. Documents
- Step 6. Email
- Step 7. Install Office on your mobile and create the Workspace as a tile
Step 1. Introduction & Sign in
The goal of Workspace 365 is to simplify your work by making IT less complicated. In one glance you see all applications and information your organization made available for you. This way, everything is within reach with just one click, on any device and from any browser.
- Go to your Workspace URL provided by the IT-Partner (e.g. https://demo.workspace365.net/demo)
- Login to your new Workspace with the Office 365 login information or the information you have received by email.
- Bookmark the Workspace in your browser or set it up as your homepage so you can easily reach it at all times.
When you open applications and want to go back to the home screen, click on the logo on the upper left.
With the 'magnifying glass' icon, you can search through your entire Workspace.
Click on the 'waffle icon' to access the App store.
Through the "+" menu you can quickly add files, emails or calendar events.
The 'bell' icon is for showing notifications (Activity Feed).
All your contacts are listed under the Address book.
The 'present' icon will show what's new or what has been improved in Workspace 365.
When you click on the profile icon or the profile photo, you can access your profile settings.
Step 2. Add your favorite sites or apps
If your organization allows it, you can add apps to your Workspace.
Click on “Add tiles”.
This will open the App store. From here, you can:
- Select one or multiple apps and add them to you Personal Workspace.
- Create tiles, such as shortcuts to your favorite websites.
When you want to create a shortcut to your favorite site, you can easily fill in the information.
- Choose a recognizable icon.
- Select a color.
- Fill in the name of your shortcut tile.
- Copy the link from the website and paste this in the “Webpage” field.
- Select the destination (current or new window).
- Click “Add to Personal group” (or choose an existing group).
Step 3. Edit your Workspace
After adding tiles to your Workspace, you can easily edit your Workspace.
You can now do the following:
- Move an app to the desired (personal) group by clicking and dragging it.
(Unless you're owner of a Shared tile group, you are allowed to edit these groups as well).
- Change the name of the group by clicking on the title.
- Move a group by clicking on the title (or the two horizontal stripes on the upper right corner) and dragging it.
- Edit an app by right-clicking the tile and select “Edit tile”.
- Delete an app by right-clicking the tile and select "Delete from Workspace".
Do you want to decide for yourself which groups are visible on the Workspace? Click “Groups” in the action bar and select the groups you want to be visible.
Step 4. Important information in one glance
By opening the Workspace you will instantly have an overview of your workday. Here's an example:
The Recent Documents tile provides quick access to the files you’re working on. Click a file or "Document" to navigate to the document or documents app.
In the calendar live tile you instantly see your appointments for the day. You can click on an appointment to see more details. If you want to make a new appointment, you click on Calendar at the bottom right corner of the tile.
In the email live tile you can view your unread messages. You can view them in your mailbox by clicking on Email.
Want to add a newsfeed yourself? Click here for more information.
Step 5. Documents
When you're in the Documents app, on the left you see “My documents”. Here you find, as you can tell by the name, your personal (work) files. In this section you can save documents that are convenient for work, but do not necessarily need to be shared with your colleagues.
Below "My Documents" you will see the shared folders. meant for collaboration with others. By saving files in these folders, everything stays neatly and clear in one location and everything is accessible for the people who have the rights to access these particular files and folders.
It’s possible to hide folders in the menu of the document app. This can come in handy when you have access to a lot of folders from other departments, which you never need or use anyway. To hide these folders, you click the eye-icon above the list of folders. After that, you can select which folders you want to show in your document app.
Set the default Office editor
The administrator of an environment can enable/disable the option to open documents with the Office application installed locally. When this function is enabled, the user has the ability to open files in the web editor or in the local app. If one of the options is not available, it will automatically choose the option that is available.
Make shortcuts to folders
Frequently use particular files or folders? You can easily create bookmarks. For more information, click here.
All documents, neatly in one place
- New: easily create a new folder or file (Word, Excel, PowerPoint or OneNote).
- Upload: select a document to upload to the folder you’re active in.
- Sync: you can (if you have the rights to do so) synchronize “My documents” and the shared folders to your device, so you can keep working on your files while you’re offline.
- Open in Word Online: select which application you want to use; this is possible with online (standard) or local Office apps.
- Manage: click "manage" or right-click a file to Delete, Rename, Move or Copy a file.
- Download: save documents to your device. Only do this when necessary, because this increases the risk you’ll lose the file if your device breaks down and colleagues can’t view the file.
- Share: invite colleagues and make a link to share a document with others. This way you can keep collaborating in the same document and you won’t have multiple versions of the same document. If you want a document to be checked by someone else you can also select the option to share a “View only” version, so the other person can’t edit the document. It is important to pay attention when you share a file as “View only” or as “Edit”. You can also send the document as attachment via email. For more information on how to share documents, click here.
- Version history: view the previous versions of the document. You can restore and download any older version below to make it the current version. All other versions will still be saved.
Step 6. Email
We have created our own Workspace email app. By clicking on "Email" at the bottom right of the live tile you open the Online mailbox.
You can set the default email app client to "OWA", but from the Workspace 365 mailbox it's easier to save or send files as an attachment, because of the integration with SharePoint (Documents app).
To save emails, follow the steps below:
- Open the email with attachment
- Right-click or use the drop-down menu (hold a while on touch-devices) and choose “Save as”
- Choose the location where you want to save the file
You can flag your emails in the email app. This is a powerful tool to keep track of your messages. To do this, select the email you would like to (un)flag and then the Flag button. You can also select multiple emails at the same time. To do this, hold the CTRL button and select the emails.
To show (un)read emails from the live tile, right-click the email tile to edit it. Listed under 'Content' you can choose between:
- Only show unread email messages
- Show read and unread email messages
To set the option to automatically mark emails as read, from the email app click the eye-icon to Manage mailboxes.
Then, click on the three dots. For the selected mailbox, you can now choose to enable or disable the option to automatically mark emails as read.
Step 7. Install Office on your mobile device and create the Workspace as a tile
Within mobile browsers you often have the possibility to create a shortcut to a page on your home screen. By doing this you’ll quickly have access to your Workspace from any device.
Set up the Workspace 365 environment as a tile on your mobile phone, tablet or desktop to quickly access everything you need to work.
Install Office apps on your mobile device through the app stores.